Weekly Feature



2018-04-11 / Editorial

Out of the Past

125 Years Ago
April 13, 1893

A well-dressed man needs to give attention to three details of his dress — his hat, his necktie and his shoes. He ought to be particular about his gloves, too.

“Aunt: ‘Willie, did your papa take you to the Grand Army reception last night?’ Willie: ‘Yes, but it was very slow until they asked papa to do something. He got up and sang ‘Just Before the Bottle Mama.’ Then everybody howled and we went down to supper.’”

“We never know how many great men we have in this country until the offices come to be filled after each presidential election.”

100 Years Ago
April 11, 1918

The Liberty Ball was escorted through Williamsville last Saturday. This famous coach, built by James Gordon Bennett in 1893, drawn by the four favorite horses of Alfred Gwynne Vanderbilt, who lost his life when the Lusitania sank, arrived first.

The Red Cross is in need of sewing machines in running order for their work. Any donation of same will be gratefully appreciated.

Farmers are complaining that they are not getting as many eggs as formerly. Perhaps the hens stop laying one hour earlier since the new law went into effect.

The Amherst and Clarence Cooperative Insurance Association of Swormville has appointed N.I. Beiter of North Ellicott Street as their agent to write policies and look after their interests in this vicinity.

About one hundred relatives and friends of William Bucher tendered him a pleasant surprise birthday party.

Mr. and Mrs. Oscar C. Benson and daughters, Mrs. Bryant and Miss Benson, returned Saturday from their pleasant sojourn in Florida.

Newark, Wayne County, has a woman policeman.

Post Office inspectors are trying to locate a package containing $1,500, placed in a Binghamton Post Office safe at night. It was not there the following morning.

75 Years Ago
April 15, 1943

There will be no Erie County Fair at Hamburg this year. The war situation is the motivating factor in this temporary abandonment of the century-old show.

Mr. John Adrian and four others appeared before the Village Board relative to the purchase and use of a village-owned lot on California Drive as an entrance to a pasture for horses.

The Village Tavern, 5447 Main St., has been sold and is now being operated by Robert J. Eimer and Herbert A. Christ. The original part of the tavern was built in 1805. (Editor’s note: this is now the site of Walgreens.)

50 Years Ago
April 10, 1968

Rabbi Daniel E. Kerman, of Temple Beth Am; Rev. Michael McNicholl, assistant pastor of SS. Peter & Paul Parish; and Rev. Wesley J. Kuhn, executive director of the Lutheran Synod, participated in an unexpected memorial service for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at Williamsville Senior High School on Tuesday afternoon after school. Students were permitted to go to the gym during free periods to view the funeral on four TVs.

It’s clear sailing for the proposed Two Guys department store on Sheridan Drive near Niagara Falls Boulevard.

George M. Frauenheim, 55, Catholic lay leader and Western New York industrialist, died Friday, April 5, 1968. An Eggertsville resident, he had served as president of the Automobile Club of Buffalo and the New York Automobile Association.

25 Years Ago
April 14, 1993

A Sweet Home Central School District planning team recently attended a four-day retreat during which they wrote a new mission statement and composed strategies to create changes in the schools.

Urban J. Pauly, former president of the Amherst Industrial Development Agency, died Sunday, April 11, 1993.

Return to top