Weekly Feature

2009-07-01 / Front Page

Search for murder suspect ends in Buffalo

by JESSICA L. FINCH Associate Editor

Andre Ridgeway Andre Ridgeway Almost one month to the day after the death of Jesse Garnett, Amherst police located the man suspected in the shooting.

Around 11 p.m. Friday, Amherst detectives, members of the Emergency Response Team and officers surrounded a house at 25 Hoyt St. in Buffalo.

The suspect, Andre Ridgeway, 24, surrendered to police without incident a short time later. He was charged by detectives Ed Bailey and Terrence Walsh with one count of murder in the second degree.

Ridgeway was arraigned before Judge Geoffrey Klein and is being held without bail at the Erie County Holding Center.

"Last last week we were able to develop information that Andre would be at a house on Hoyt Street in Buffalo," Detective Rick Walter said.

Ridgeway has been a person of interest since Garnett, 21, was shot and killed on Yale Avenue on May 25. Walter said police believe the suspect has been in the city, specifically the University Heights area, since.

"He had an unbelievable network of friends and family members willing to help him out," Wa lter said. "We believe he was mostly in the Bailey and Shirley Avenue area of the city."

Garnett's roommate, Javon R. Jackson, was killed May 10 following his graduation from the University at Buffalo. Walter said it was a tragic circumstance, but the two murders do not appear to be related.

Amherst police were assisted by Buffalo Police Department's SWAT team and members of E District, the U.S. Marshals Office, and New York State Violent Felony Warrant Task Force.

"He was always a person of interest in this crime. It was a matter of finding him," Walter said.

Since the death of Garnett, police have been following several leads and conducting interviews concerning Ridgeway's whereabouts.

He is suspected of shooting Garnett at 9:30 p.m. at an apartment on Yale Avenue. According to police, they responded to a shots-fired call and upon arrival, discovered Garnett suffering from multiple gunshot wounds.

He was transported to Erie County Medical Center where he was later pronounced dead.

Police released a photo of Ridgeway that night, warning that he should be considered armed and dangerous.

Return to top