Out of the Past
125 Years Ago
Feb. 8, 1883
Since the storm last Saturday, the telephone lines have been out of order, but are now all right. Workmen were busily engaged in repairing the line, and last night everything was in working order from the Bee office to Buffalo and Rochester.
Tuesday at Mr. Jacob Graf's house, near Wendelville, there was a narrow escape from a serious fire. Mr. Graf and family had been absent about six hours. On opening the house, Mr. Graf found it full of smoke and the floor broke through under his weight. A few pails of water soon extinguished the fire.
Bertha Deam, daughter of Mr. Harmon Deam, was run over by a one-horse sleigh opposite the residence of Mr. Henry Metz and was severely bruised.
A warning for ladies who use preparations alleged to beautify the complexion comes from Philadelphia, where a lady well known in society has her face covered by an eruption which no physician can remove.
Farmers going to Buffalo will find first-class accommodations at the house of George Bies, 403 Genesee Street. Lunch served at all times. Fine wines, liquors and cigars. Good stabling.
"A young man finds himself in a perplexing situation when he is unable to distinguish between the ten-cent cigar purchased for his own enjoyment and the two-for-fives intended for his future father- in- law."
"Winter reigns when it snows."
100 Years Ago
Feb. 6, 1908
A hearing before the Public Service Commission on the application for a franchise by the Buffalo, Rochester and Eastern Railroad, which is to run from Troy to Buffalo, has been adjourned to February 25. The proposed line will run from Buffalo through Tonawanda, Getzville and Swormville on its route east to Troy.
No one in the audience of about 200 persons was injured when fire broke out in the second floor auditorium of the Catholic School Hall during the second act of the cantata, "The Enchanted Apple." The children were led to safety in an orderly fashion by Sister Anselma. To express his appreciation, Msgr. Adolph, the pastor, presented the Williamsville Hose Company with $20 in gold, $10 from himself and $10 from the congregation.
75 Years Ago
Feb. 9, 1933
The special meeting for the inhabitants of Amherst School District No. 3 (Williamsville High School), for the purpose of voting on the proposition of supplying transportation for pupils attending public school will be held Friday evening.
The Amherst branch of the League of Women Voters held its February meeting at the Amherst Community House, Snyder. A large group of women had the pleasure of hearing Mrs. Berend Burns talk on "Government in Erie County."
50 Years Ago
Feb. 6, 1958
A proposal that the Town Board create the position of superintendent of service to be in charge of the maintenance of water and sewer departments and the disposal plant was made at Monday's meeting by the town's chief engineer, Ronald H. McLernon.
Plans are being finalized for the Cub Pack 239 Blue and Gold Dinner to be held at the Junior-Senior High School cafeteria on Feb. 27.
Joseph Jurek, 68, died suddenly of a heart attack on Wednesday morning, Feb. 5, 1958 en route home from Florida. One of his six children, Alfred, was killed at Iwo Jima, and the East Amherst American Legion post is named for him.
25 Years Ago
Feb. 2, 1983
The long-heralded Ellicott Creek flood control project is part of President Reagan's budget which he has submitted to Congress for approval.
Amherst Councilman Lawrence Southwick Jr. has protested cigarette advertising on a bus shelter in front of Daemen College, across the street from Amherst Central High School.
Joanne Messer of Eggertsville has been named public affairs coordinator for the Buffalo Zoo.
William B. Flanders, 61, a member of the State University at Buffalo's Office of Public Safety, died while on duty on Monday, Jan. 24, 1983.